Sunday, February 20, 2011

Run, Bike, Swim

Max's post about Brick workouts made me laugh a bit.  Everything he says is right of course.  The reason I laughed is because of the idiosyncratic nature of my "multisport" training.  It is not driven by logic.  It is driven by the exigencies of my workout schedule.  My runs are mostly done on their own with running buddies.  My bike and swim workouts are done mostly in the gym.  Because of the timing of the spin class (the only way I can convince myself to ride a bike inside), the order of my workout is completely backwards.  I run to the gym, spin, swim, and limp home.  This has two major advantages over the usual order:  (1) when I return home, I don't smell too bad; and (2) my swim workouts go better if I've warmed up first.  On the other hand, I never practice transitions, and it shows when I get off the bike.  Oh well, better to train backwards than not to train at all . . .

4 comments:

  1. We used to run triathlons in Alaska in the wrong order -- swim, run, bike - on the theory that the water was too cold to go straight to the bike afterward. The sport was more malleable then. I think they've stopped doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. Pools

    ReplyDelete
  3. I exactly got what you mean, thanks for posting. And, I am too much happy to find this website on the world of Google. best cycling gloves for hand numbness

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am incapable of reading articles online very often, but I’m happy I did today. It is very well written, and your points are well-expressed. I request you warmly, please, don’t ever stop writing. Ovalbecken

    ReplyDelete