Saturday, February 12, 2011

And the Winner is ...the Hamptons Marathon

On September 24, 2011 I will line up with just 200-300 other runners in East Hampton New York for the 5th annual Hamptons marathon. By then it will have been nearly two years since I completed the Dublin marathon with tendinitis in both feet and my worst time ever. Turns out, tendinitis goes anyway on its own in about two years so I am feeling the best since that particular affliction manifested itself and hopefully won't reappear when the mileage begins to mount in the spring. In the meantime, more cross-training, more treadmill when the weather drops below ten wind chill, more speed work, more core work, gives me some hope that I can get within striking distance of my PR or at least not set a new personal worst. The problem is that I have lost my top gear so I am focusing on more running, less walking, and generally keeping a better pace longer to make for the reality that I can no longer rip off 7:30 miles in a distance race to make up for walking through water stops, al fresco bathroom breaks, and the like.

For logistics I will be staying with friends who are fortunate enough to have a home in Sag Harbor and will drive me to the starting line. Not sure how it will feel without 40,000 people milling around for hours in advance. Looking forward to Ted running with me for up to the first 20 miles. Welcome any one else who is free Saturday September 24, 2011. And thanks to my associate dean for arranging a marathon (I mean research) leave for the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment