Friday, February 11, 2011

Life-changing?

I read this article about a guy preparing for the "death race." First, I like this guy. He's not the investment banker I read about last week. He's a guy working a job and raising a family while testing his athletic limits.

Second, I'm curious about his statement that running an Ironman changed his life. He suddenly felt as if he could do anything.

That's certainly the view of the uninformed about endurance sports. "If you run a marathon, you can do anything!" I've never felt that way. When I finished my first marathon, all I wanted to do was drink a beer. After recovering a little, I know I wanted to run faster the next time, but "anything"? Hardly.

When does an athletic accomplishment qualify as life-changing? You know, so you can get the tattoo and not feel foolish a decade later. This one seems like it might do it. I've previously mentioned RAAM. But I doubt it. Short of inducing post-traumatic stress disorder, I think you pretty much wake up a week later and realize if you don't get back out jogging again, you're going to end up out of shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment