Friday, February 18, 2011

Another Brick in the Wall

A "brick" is a two-sport workout for multisport training, which offers the benefits of imitating the transition on race day and allowing an endurance session with less danger of overdoing any one thing. The normal brick is bike/run, and there are some who argue you should never get off your bike without adding 20 minutes or so running afterward. Because I continually fail to run well in my races, I'm committed to weekly bricks as long as the weather, my legs, and my schedule allow.

The temperature was predicted to hit 70 degrees. I took the newly rebuilt Gunnar out Beach Drive to Tuckerman, Glen to South Glen, Query Mill to Esworthy to River Road, about 25 miles west of town. I followed River back to the town of Potomac; Falls Road to Macarthur Blvd., and Arizona to Nebraska to Albemarle, then back home. A beautiful 55 miles. The bank clock at Macarthur and Arizona read 77 degrees.

Quick switch of the shoes and stumble through the neighborhood for 30 minutes. If I had my way I'd find somewhere flat, but the word is the run in St. George, Utah, this May will be anything but. I had been patting myself on the back for early season fitness, but wow, was today hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment