Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A worthy cause

One of my colleagues in the law school running just turned me to a most worthy cause called Back on My Feet.

BOMF is a nonprofit organization that promotes the self-sufficiency of homeless populations by engaging them in running as a means to build confidence, strength and self-esteem. They do not provide food or shelter, but instead provide a community that embraces equality, respect, discipline, teamwork and leadership. The organization consists of much more than just running: members participate in a comprehensive program that offers connections to job training, employment and housing. Those benefits are earned by maintaining 90 percent attendance at the morning runs three days a week for the six to nine month program.

I just signed up as a volunteer, have my orientation next week, and my first run with the group the following Saturday. Help spread the word about what they do if you can. It's pretty awesome and BOMF is already is a number of cities besides Chicago. If we do the Ragnar relay, I hope we can do some fund raising on their behalf.

No comments:

Post a Comment