Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Le Maillot Jaune

In trolling the internet for evidence of my influence (it's third-year review time) I looked up my name in Google Books, which I decided is a step less cheesy than simply googling myself. I pop up in many caselaw reporters, which is no surprise for someone who paid off the student loans by litigating. Law journals apparently are not in Google's library. Two caselaw reporters are different from others: I was both a defendant and a decedent in the late 1890s (not really, obviously). I found myself (yes, this one actually me) thanked in a 1998 book by an old mathematical writing professor of mine from college (I just ordered that book). But the best was the first couple of pages from Chapter 9 of a novel, "Short Change," by Patricia Smiley (Penguin USA 2007). Max Huffman is the new beau of someone named Venus, and the action opens with Venus purchasing new cycling shorts to keep up with Max, who "thinks he's some kind of Lance friggin' Armstrong training for the Tour de France." And although Venus' friend says to get rid of Max, Venus thinks he "could be [her] maillot jaune."

I am definitely bringing this to the attention of the tenure committee.

2 comments:

  1. Law journals are in Google scholar not Google books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness I didn't know that before I stumbled on Short Change!

    ReplyDelete