Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Runner's Confession

Three weeks ago, I ran on a treadmill. In a hotel basement. Seven miles. Two days in a row. In San Franscisco. In fifty-degree weather. Worse, I told acquaintances I met in the elevator that I was going to "work out" rather than "run," deliberately intimating that I chose the hotel gym because it offered exercise opportunities that the Great Outdoors did not. It was pretty darned close to an outright lie.

I'm not proud that I gave in to the fear I felt listening to fifteen years of running only on plain and prairie tell me that I'd never make it past the first hilly mile. I'm not proud that I missed out on a chance to see new parts of a great American city with a runner's special intimacy.

And now the endless treadmill miles of the deep Midwestern winter mock me with every slightly-cushioned, somehow indefinably too-mechanical step.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome aboard Paul!

    I only wish I had known in advance that you were at AALS. You could have shared a cab with Ted and me to Fisherman's Wharf (skipping the big hills) for our run over the bridge. We ran on the flat waterfront and only had to get up and over the bridge for hills. As a fellow flatlander I found that challenging but not excessive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Paul. Glad to see you posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! Spencer -- it was a last-minute decision to come; I was horribly unorganized!

    ReplyDelete