Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Small Marathons

The smallest marathon I have run was Madison in 2008. Maybe 1000 full marathoners and another 1000 plus half marathoners with a separate start time. Not entirely surprisingly, it was also my PR as I could simply start running at my pace from the get go and not be trapped by 20,000 plus fellow hackers. If I do this again, I think I want to find another small race somewhere picturesque, well supported, and really small. I have heard good, but mixed, things about the Hamptons Marathon in late September. I have also heard good things about Des Moines but I suspect that it somewhat bigger and in Des Moines. Any other good suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Athens, Ohio, was fun, though an uninspired out-and-back course on a rural bike trail. The "North-Central Trail Marathon" near Baltimore (Thanksgiving time frame) was beautiful, with a more-inspired out-and-back course along a canal towpath. The National Marathon (March) isn't small, but it's not huge, either -- maybe 10,000 runners, and after the halfers split off it gets a little lonely. My favorite was then called the San Diego marathon, and now it's the Carlsbad Marathon (January). When I ran it there were 2000 of us, and although it's gathered a following they cap it. It was a beautiful course, with the last 10 miles heading north along the Pacific Ocean. Tough to train for that time of year, though.

    ReplyDelete