Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Some Geeky Talk about Running Shoes

Over the past ten years I must have run in just about every major brand of running shoe available except Nike. I try to avoid Nike for the same reasons I try to avoid Microsoft in software (dislike of market power) but it's a lot easier in running shoes because of greater choice and less network effects. I started with some ungodly heavy but way cushy New Balance (first marathon), tried Asiics very briefly, had some success with Saucony Triumph until they changed the design on me, stuck with different model Sauconys for a while (my two fastest marathons), then discovered that I didn't really need a stability shoe anymore.

Once in the cushioned neutral I went for a combo of cush and lightness recognizing that physics makes this a trade off. Surprisingly Underarmour made a nice mid price shoe that did the trick for my last two marathons but now they don't seem to make it (and no stores carry their other models for me to try). Pearl Izumis rubbed me the wrong way (literally).

Now I alternate between a pair of Saucony Rides and Brooks Ghosts and like them both for different reasons. Is it too much to ask for a cushioned neutral shoe that isn't tilted forward for under $100?

4 comments:

  1. As with most things, I'm a creature of habit. I've been in cushioned neutral shoes for close to twelve years. I have a few shoes I trust, and I pretty much rotate through them. I have generally liked the New Balance 102_ series, the Asics Nimbus, the Mizuno Wave Creation, and the Brooks Glycerine.

    Recently, I've had trouble with the heel cup of the Nimbus, so I've shied away from it. Also the Mizuno is now radically tilted forward. Those two are mostly sitting in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danner shoes Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this interesting and knowledgeable article. Scarpe Running pronatori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. Sneaker bot

    ReplyDelete