Friday, November 2, 2012

Worst race expo ever

As the reader knows, I really liked the Hot Chocolate 15K a lot.  Interesting distance, nice time of year, really good swag, and of course hot chocolate from Ghiradelli.  I had signed up some weeks ago long before I got hurt at the Chicago marathon.  So I am not running but at least wanted the winter technical running jacket with hoodie.

In past years, the packet pick up was in Union Station which was a short cab ride each way with easy bus options as well.  For whatever reason, they moved the expo to a tent in the parking lot between Soldier Field and McCormick Place.  So I schlepped over there in the car this afternoon only to find a 90 minute wait to get into to register and then get the goodies.  Apparently the wait was between 2-3 hours this morning.  I was never seen anything like this ever for any race or a bigger waste of time.  At least they didn't have the nerve to charge me for parking since I obviously didn't stick around.

That is one race we can scratch off for future years.

2 comments:

  1. That promoter's attempt to crack the DC market was a train wreck, with everything from a 1 hour delay at the start to somebody routing the 5k leaders back through the middle of the dense pack half-way through. I had signed up but missed out, with no regrets. Sorry to hear things flopped this year in Chicago as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh!! I'll give the NYRRC credit, they are quite professional about the logistics. I liked it better when the races were smaller and more ragtag, but you can't turn back the clock.

    ReplyDelete