Saturday, November 17, 2012

Am I the only one . . .

Who has a short window to capture the momentum required to head out for a hard workout? I planned my morning around heading out for tempo intervals at the track. I got waylaid on the way back from coffee. Now the excitement has diminished. I'm heading out now, but $10 says I get to the track, run a few laps hard, and end up going for a mid-distance run to fill up the time.

Once when I tried to become a golfer (don't say it) I had a great drive, or a great chip, or a great putt, or something -- and I complained to my playing partner, who was a golfer, that "I'd be good if I could just be consistent." He responded, "no, you are not consistent because you are not good."

Difference between being a professional and being a weekend warrior: the ability to get in the right frame of mind at will rather than hoping that the frame of mind occurs on its own with sufficient frequency actually to get something done. This most definitely extends to writing as well.

2 comments:

  1. I am exactly the same. And being a morning runner, if I don't get out asap, then STUFF gets in the way and I lose the energy. Then if I do go out later it all just feels like work. With writing... I dawdle and doodle and mull and read "just one more" article, all "waiting for my muse". I know to do this though because if I force it when not ready, then nothing flows and most of the wordage is for the bin. So I know to wait, but grab the chance when the mood hits and I am very fortunate that it usually all comes out at once as a first draft. The problem is when I wake up and can tell I need to get drafting right away because it's all ready to go in there....then the conundrum starts....run first or not. Fortunately, this clash doesn't arise too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely a morning runner. If I don't go first thing in the morning, it usually doesn't happen. I roll out of bed, into my gear, and out onto the road. I'm only half kidding when I say that I'm not actually awake until the second mile. This is not ideal. The first few blocks are often painful, as my body slowly acknowledges that it's going for a run. The second few blocks involve reevaluation (too late to do anything about it) of my gear choices (too hot, too cold). Depending on the run and running buddy, I stop to stretch at 5 minutes (M___) or 22 minutes (B__ or Brooklyn Bridge) or both. As for tempo, speed or LSD, that simply unfolds along with the run. Usually, it's LSD. Speed (as you can tell from my times) is usually an afterthought.

    Once the day is underway, the likelihood that I'll take time out for a run is extremely small. This is a problem. Like Philip, I often do my best writing first thing in the morning, so there's a real tradeoff with scholarly productivity. Oh well! Maybe someday I'll find a lunchtime or early evening running buddy.

    ReplyDelete