Thursday, November 1, 2012

NYC Marathon -- A Puzzle

As I write this, the NYC Marathon has become a bit of a political football.  Mayor Bloomberg and the folks at NYRR have announced that the marathon is on, but they still haven't exactly told anybody what the course is, and it is not entirely clear how they plan to get everyone to the start.  I will admit that this came as a bit of a surprise. During the hurricane itself, I actually registered for the Brooklyn Marathon (November 18), on the assumption that the NYC Marathon simply would not happen.

 I am as ready to go as I've ever been.  I've done my 3 twenty milers, a nineteen miler, an Olympic Tri, and a Half Marathon in the run up.  I set a PR in the Half, so I'm feeling pretty excited.  That's the plus side.  So thank you Mayor Bloomberg and Mary Wittenberg for doing everything possible to make sure that my training doesn't go to waste. . .

On the minus side, well, New York City was decimated by the storm of the century four days ago, and is still shoveling out.  Everybody I know who isn't a runner thinks it's a scandal that resources are going to be diverted from the recovery to the Marathon.  I don't disagree.  I'm feeling like a bit of a pariah for planning to run anyway.  I see the point.  The subways aren't running and there's no power in lower Manhattan.  Lots of people are  really in difficult circumstances.  At best, on this view the Marathon is bread and circuses.

On the other hand, if they pull it off, it will be a truly moving experience to run through the five boroughs less than one week after the hurricane as a show of the city's pluck and resilience.

So, what to do?  Should I _not_ run as an act of protest?  I must say that this thought has not seriously crossed my mind.  I understand the criticism.  I think the better course might have been to postpone by a week.  But if the marathon is going forward, a boycott seems even worse.  All of the resources will be spent, and if the marathon is a flop, the city does not even get the benefit of a civic bounce.  So, logistics, weather and body permitting, I'll be out there Sunday, showing support for a remarkable city.

4 comments:

  1. If they decide to hold it....I say "NIKE". You've trained hard for it, you're ready, and I would have thought it would be a cathartic and supportive experience for organisers, runners and fans alike. It would be different if they pulled the entire event, then you wouldn't have a choice. Just be safe, plan for inordinate delays and stay warm, and let us know your chip code so we can track and cheer you in real time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed all around. In fact, everybody I've communicated with who is entered and ready to run is going for it, so I'm a little curious exactly where the protest vote is coming from.

    So very glad to hear you are OK, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just heard it's been cancelled. Bring on Brooklyn, Ted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that was handled about as badly as possible. I'm okay with the decision, but wish they'd come to their senses on Tuesday, rather than dragging it out for days.

    Brooklyn Marathon here I come!!

    ReplyDelete