Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I pinched my plica

6 weeks out I finally got in to see my sports medicine guy.  I swear by Dr. N who is the former medical director for Chicago Marathon and a 2:30 marathoner back in the day.  After much poking, prodding, stretching and manipulating by various residents and fellows, he swoops in presses in a couple of key places and following my painful grimace announces that I pinched my plica, a membrane extending below the knee which is being pinched by the sharp edge of the patella.  "Almost missed that one," he says, "It's like when you bite the inside of your cheek, quite minor and easily fixed."  I am icing, doing a small manipulation of the kneecap a couple times a day and doing two weeks of PT and he claims I will be running well before the end of the year.  Even thinks there is a shot at a Rome Marathon if I am willing to do some crazy bike work when the weather gets lousy. 

4 comments:

  1. The bike really helps to balance out the knee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a catch. And is there a better anecdote to teach that we should find docs who understand what we do and why we do it? It's so easy to say "take the year off and it will heal" -- but a running doc knows that is not the right answer, so is willing to look harder for alternate explanations and solutions. Or that's my interpretation, in any event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such good news. A targetted diagnosis and prognosis. HEAL, Spencer, HEAL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, when you switch to the bike (either your own trainer, or spin class), invest in a decent pair of bike shoes and cleats, and get some good advice on fit (seat height and position). The bike is great for your knee, but it's a lot better if your form is good.

    ReplyDelete