Friday, June 24, 2011

A Run with my Niece

My niece Hannah is 16 and just finished her sophomore year at the same high school where my daughter goes (one year behind). Hannah played on varsity soccer and Jordan (daughter) played jv last year. The varsity coach wants everyone to be able to run a 6:00 mile and a 13:00 2 mile before the start of the school year. This means both that Hannah is doing a lot of running this summer and Jordan plans to stick to jv. But it also means I got to go running with my niece for the first time yesterday. I drove to their house about 1 1/2 miles west of Wrigley Field and we did a 4 plus mile loop to a local soccer stadium, around the field, and back. Her distance, my pace, a lot of nice conversation in a very different setting than the usual family gathering where the kids don't really talk to the grownups after saying hello. Really nice experience. Look forward to a few more runs before she heads off for her summer travel plans. Now if I can only get my daughter out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment