Monday, June 13, 2011

Steak Dinner

D__ and I worked together in private practice. After I jumped to teaching and he to government, he and I independently started running triathlons, more or less at the same time. Over the five-plus years since, we've come pretty close to splitting "wins" -- I tend to come out ahead in run-dominated events and he tends to come out ahead if the bike and swim dominate. A few times a year for the past four years or so we've bet -- a six pack here, double or nothing there, dinner here, and c. -- but nobody has ever actually paid up. It kind of all seemed to come out in the wash.

This time nothing actually is owed, but we decided to celebrate nonetheless. D__ offered me a steak dinner if I ran under 4:00 in St. George. (I thought while I was running I was earning it, but I had misread the clock!) I offered him the same if he ran under 3:05 in Eugene. Neither of us pulled it off, but both were close, and its being zero-sum anyway, we figured we'd eat well tonight. Whether I buy his or I buy mine, it's still steak.

We're eating at The Prime Rib on K Street. Not being a steak-house denizen or a lobbyist, I know of it only because of the LUC Institute for Consumer Antitrust Studies-branded Zagats guide. The description says "the bar scene will hurt your eyes if you are married" -- and, fortunately for D__, he isn't. Zagats also gives the food top billing for local steak joints.

1 comment: