Friday, March 21, 2014

Surgery and After

On Tuesday Dr. B__ performed a partial meniscetomy, removed my plica, and cleaned up some frayed edges of cartilage elsewhere in the knee.  A few have asked me "how was it?"  My answer:  I was told "you will feel a prick" (the IV being inserted in the back of my hand) -- and then I woke from a very restful nap, learning all had gone well.  From my perspective, surgery may be the most restful thing I have done!

I walked out of there and apart from some swelling I am suffering exactly no ill effects.  I did not even fill the pain med prescription and now three days later I am off the Tylenol, though I'm still taking prescription-strength Aleve for swelling.  The swelling restricts motion a slight bit.

I've now visited a therapist twice.  There is not much need for therapy for recovery from surgery -- I got a list of stretches and very minor strength building exercises -- but I am going to take full advantage of PT as a means to build my running stride to better than it was before.  Something funny has been going on and I want to solve it.  Among other things, the therapists identify flexibility and strength limitations that are not necessarily related to surgery at all.

Dr. B__ says the injury is just a function of getting older.  As the meniscus loses its sponginess it tears more easily.  Better simply to deal with it, he says, than not to engage in activity that might cause a tear (and deal instead with the health problems that come from a sedentary lifestyle).

Here's where things stand:  I'm enjoined from sweating much until the holes are closed -- approximately 10 days from now -- so no running or biking.  No swimming either, for the same time period.  At the gym today after doing my stretches I learned my weight is a good 5 lbs above normal and 10 above "race weight," so when the ankle bracelet is removed I get to enjoy getting visibly fitter.

Back to what I wrote a few weeks ago:  I wish I had done this in November!

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're on the rapid mend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for surgical solutions! Hope the recovery continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. Thanks... thyroid surgery

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don t have the time at the moment to fully read your site but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site. Periosteal Raspatories-Elevators

    ReplyDelete