Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Kick Drills

It is common wisdom that when training for the swim leg of a tri, triathletes need not focus on flip turns (messes up the breathing), or kicking, since you want to spare your legs and save them for the bike/run legs.
I signed up for a Wednesday evening swim class a few weeks ago, and a lot of the drills and prescribed workouts have involved kicking drills using a kickboard, and also sidekicking without.  I pretty much hate the sidekick drills, but am finally getting to the point where I don't drink the whole pool while on my right side.

The reason I mention it, though, is that I think that these drills are going to be very good for my running.  they strengthen the core, and force you to fire the glutes.  My hips seem to be loosening up, and my self diagnosed sciatica is less bothersome.

Hmm. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment