Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Serious Training Question

This weekend I have my 20 miler and then taper down to the big day on 9/24. On the weekend of 9/11, I am supposed to do 12 miles. However, I am also registered for the Chicago Half-marathon down in Hyde Park/Jackson Park. Its a pretty course, usually a fast one, and the only one where you finish underneath a giant gold statute of the winged goddess of Victory (Nike) from the 1893 World's Fair. Any down side to tacking on a little extra distance and probably running a little harder than I might otherwise do on a 12 mile taper run on my own? What does our blog's reader have to say?

3 comments:

  1. I've done this before with few ill effects, but for me it all comes down to what you mean by "running a little harder than I might otherwise do." If you're talking 10-15 seconds per mile, I say go for it. If you're talking 30 or more, I'd back away. For me, the attraction is distraction -- what a great way to get a low-key, fun training run in. Plus you don't have to bring your own water. But if you think you'll be tempted to run fast . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. All sensible advice, thanks. Will tell you all about it afterwards. Now off for a gentle 10 and then figure out what day to do my 20 over the long weekend.

    ReplyDelete