Monday, August 22, 2011

Racing to Relax

Looking back over the past few months of posts, it appears that I'm the only (semi-) regular contributor who uses these electronic pages primarily as a confessional. Maybe it's because I'm the only contributor whose relationship with running is more dysfunctional than my parents' was back in 1979. Wait, did I say that out loud? Add "unnecessary self-disclosure" to my list of blogging sins.

In any event, I've recently figured out something rather important: I have to be training for something. But it's not precisely like one might think. A few years back, the lack of an event in my future would have been a recipe for couch potato soup. But now I've swung too far in the other direction. If I am not actively training for something, my pattern is now "run 7 miles as fast as I can every day." But if I'm training for something, I tend to be able to follow a schedule that includes not only intervals, hills, and tempo runs, but also weights and rest days.

Does anyone else race to relax?

To that end, I'm considering the St. Louis Rock & Roll Half on October 23, the Indianapolis Monumental Half on November 5, or the somewhat less popular Valparaiso 13.1 on November 12. Anyone want to join me?

6 comments:

  1. I would be probably be up for one of the Indiana halves. Let me check my calendar to make sure I didn't sign up for anything else those weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking like the Indy race for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll join you as well. I've been meaning to run the race that starts 1/2 mile from my condo -- in fact, I can host both of you, if a couch and/or blow-up mattress is acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be there. It was my first half marathon so I look forward to returning to the scene of the crime. This is the Fort Harrison one right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! Christine and I are coming over and running it "together," by which I mean "at the same time," so I'll pass on the kind offer of hospitality. She's actually running it with several neighborhood women, so there might be some opportunity for a "guys' night out" pre-race dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not Fort Harrison -- this is a new race (as of 2008 or so) starting downtown.

    ReplyDelete