Sunday, August 7, 2011

Instead of Running

I went to Lollapalooza this weekend. Plus it was too hot and humid to run with the tempting forecast of high 60s for Monday morning for my 16 miler past where Lolla was held. So instead on Day One, I walked my daughter and her friend into the park and then off we went our mostly separate ways. First stop, Kids These Days, a jazz infused hip-hop band with the son of one of my faculty colleagues as the trumpet player (plus a music scholarship to college next year). Great energy, really liked their medley of Its a Man's World (James Brown) and Summertime (Porgy and Bess). Stop two The Kills on the South Main Stage. Then after dinner, back for an incredibly dull half with Coldplay but a surprisingly interesting set with Rat-a-Tat, two guys each with synthesizers and guitars and no vocals. Then off to the pre-arranged meeting point to meet Jordan and her friend.

Day Two, came after dinner mostly for the pickup. Listened for maybe 10 minutes to Eminen and then thoroughly enjoyed the last 30 minutes of My Morning Jacket.

Day Three stayed home to write and pack for Alaska trip.

Next year? If I go at all, going VIP for covered seating, lounge to wait in, free drinks, and the use of an air conditioned toilets. Should have realized this was the efficient thing to do once I learned that was how Jim Langenfeld, our law and economics adjunct, was attending.

3 comments:

  1. Alaska? When? Where? I'll be in the state for about a week, starting in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One week extended family (Laura's) cruise round-trip from Seattle August 13-20. Drats we miss again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do have an apparent predilection to travel to the same places -- I count Utah, The Netherlands and Alaska this year alone.

    ReplyDelete