Friday, December 31, 2010

Rocky Balboa

Today I went for the last run of 2010, a casual 50-minute cruise from home out to Rock Creek Park, past the stables and Park Police headquarters, up past the old ford over Rock Creek (which my stepfather recalls crossing when he was a child living in DC) and back home via Military Road. I started slow and stiff but I warmed up and had a strong if not fast last 20 minutes. Had I thought when heading out it was the last of the year I might have tried something more momentous.

I'm supposed to add 3-4 days of strength training weekly for the next four or five weeks. I couldn't bring myself to head in to the gym (why are we members there again?), so I did some calisthenic-style leg exercises on the back porch and decided to finish with the walking lunge. The assignment is to hold a barbell over the head while striding and dipping the back knee more or less to the ground. With not a barbell in sight, I tried one of the summer wheels from my car that I have stacked against the fence. I can only imagine what a sight that presented for the neighbors. Rocky Balboa would be proud.

1 comment:

  1. I keep meaning to go full Rocky on a training run in sweats, not technical gear through the alleys and under the el. Its one of the joys of urban running even if I don't have a meat locker available for a power punching session.

    ReplyDelete