Thursday, December 30, 2010

Not Watching Football

This is a great time of year, when I will not be watching football. A few notes about that:

1. There is no better time to ski than on Super Bowl Sunday. Lift lines are short, the snow is good and the lifties post the scores on the bulletin boards usually reserved for notices like "Joe Smith report to the first aid shack".
2. Sunday afternoons in winter are great times to run or to catch a Kennedy Center matinee.
3. None of the Redskins, the Big Red or the Bearcats are worth watching in any event. And I haven't yet become enamored with the Colts.
4. One day, while VAPping in Cincinnati, I picked up the paper (Enquirer) and saw the words "Who Dey" spread all over the front page. No joke. I understood it was a cheer of some local renown, but I couldn't believe that a paper that purports to report on important events devoted that much ink to the Bengals.
5. Once in high school I was driving to watch friends play baseball for the local high-school team. Dad made an off-hand remark to the effect of "one would think you'd want to play yourself, rather than watch others play." That made quite an impression.

Admittedly, there are many who hold contrary views. I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. Also a great time to catch up on recent movies at the multiplex!

    ReplyDelete