Friday, April 5, 2013

Rest Day

Usually rest days happen because the work schedule demands it.  Such rest days are not therapeutic, as they are usually accompanied by (1) no stretching; (2) long periods in uncomfortable chairs sitting in a twisted position.

Today, I decided to take a voluntary rest day, accompanied by light calisthenics and massive amounts of stretching.  This is a practice usually reserved for the marathon taper, done grudgingly.  It feels like a guilty pleasure, but it also feels like I may have timed it correctly.  Nothing is acutely wrong.  Lots of things are out of kilter.  As I sit down to write, I realize, I may have to do this more often.  Perhaps once or twice a year, whether I need it or not . . .

1 comment:

  1. WHY are runners so loathe to stretch seriously and often?

    I ask as a guilty inadequate stretcher.

    ReplyDelete