Thursday, February 9, 2012

New Shoes

I picked up a pair of Asics Gel Hyper Speeds from Road Runner Sports. Ryan Hall supposedly runs in them. Report: they wear like the Kinvaras -- zero drop, relatively low cushion, limited support from an ultra-light upper. But the foam is softer. My Kinvaras have been hurting as I slap the ground. These actually absorb the foot strike. They are black with orange accents (together with my green-stripe tracksuit from Boston last year, I felt like Halloween personified). Too early to say whether I will try running a marathon in these, or stick with my trusty Asics DS Race. I got a new pair of those, too, in slightly over-the-top electric blue.

2 comments:

  1. Have to give those a try. Kinvaras carried me across the finish line in the Hamptons but always looking for a little more cushion in an ultra-light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Report on the new DS Race: they've gone ultralight with the materials -- things like those tape-like laces and stitched rather than plastic eyelets -- so these list at only 1/2 oz heavier than the Hyper Speeds. They are more cushioned than the Hyper Speeds in the heel and mid-foot. And they are very blue! Unfortunately, today wasn't much of a run, and the shoes were the messenger! But I'll give them another try. I did love the last pair.

    ReplyDelete