Monday, February 20, 2012

GW Birthday Marathon Relay

Got in the first race of the year yesterday. (To be clear, this is the first race I showed up for. The fourth, I think, for which I paid an entry fee.) I ran leg two of a three-leg marathon relay with DT and DL. DT took the first, and longest, leg, winning it from me in a coin toss. I can't say I was disappointed -- it looked hard. I got the handoff about 70 minutes after the start, and had only 7.2 miles before DL's turn. What a 7.2 miles, though. Rolling hills, trending up until I couldn't take it anymore; then down; and then the last mile back uphill to the handoff. DL was third for a reason. Neither DT nor I had been able to close the gap on a group of friends who comprised another team, but DL stalked their anchor and outsprinted him rather ostentatiously in the final 1/4 mile. Can't get too excited about that, though. Another pair of friends teamed up, with A__ running the second and third legs -- 16.4 miles -- in about the same amount of time that DL and I together did. They beat us by a minute. Good fun all around.

(I realized on re-reading that this may give the impression that we finished behind only one team. That would be an inaccurate impression. Perhaps predictably for a winter marathon, not many people showed up who weren't pretty fast, and a fair number of teams of them, as well as four of them solo, were faster than were we.)

No comments:

Post a Comment