Tuesday, February 21, 2012

100

I blogged about the centenarian who ran the Toronto Marathon last fall. I just read this report of a guy who celebrated his 100th by setting the 100-and-over 1 hour cycling record. He's humble about it -- the record is nothing amazing, around 15 miles -- but what's more impressive is his regular riding other than this event. He doesn't like to go much longer than 100 kilometers anymore, he says, but when he was 89 he rode 600K -- in 36 hours.

So, a poll question. What will YOU be doing at age 100, if you have any control over it?

3 comments:

  1. I think I'd like to go on some hikes to distract me from yelling at Sebastian to get off of my lawn.

    In all seriousness, I'd like to think: (1) I'll be interested in going just a little bit longer than I'm comfortable going at the time, whatever that means, and (2) I won't care if anyone notices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sebastian would, in turn, hike faster.

    You shame me with the "don't care if anyone notices" bit. I was going to say I hope I can talk somebody into holding a 100m run on my 100th, so I can run it and be the first to do so. At that age, you can't afford to wait until the next run is actually scheduled. Unfortunately, $10 says that if I reach 100, several will have established that mark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw the bit about the cyclist. If I can still balance on a bicycle and keep the pedals turning, I'll be happy!

    ReplyDelete