Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Interesting Article about Foot Strike

This question has confounded me. Video of me suggests I'm a heel-striker. I've been working on moving to a mid-foot strike. It feels very strong to land further forward on the foot. But my arches currently hurt in ways they never have, and I'm worried. On the other hand, there's Ted's experience, which supports moving forward. On the other hand, video of Craig Alexander running toward his third win in Ironman Kona shows a subtle heel strike, not unlike my own (but, of course, 2+ minutes/mile faster than my IM run split). On the other hand, video of Miranda Carfrae, the best runner in women's long course triathlon, shows a mid-foot strike.

You know, nobody ever questioned my form playing darts in a bar. Well, somebody actually did once, but there wasn't a plethora of articles to bolster the debate. Maybe I'm in the wrong sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment