Saturday, January 7, 2012

Monetize this Blog?

On the blogger dashboard there is a button marked "monetize this blog", As best I can figure out, it involves enrolling in Adsense a Google product which places ads on the blog based on the words and phrases used in the posts and the comments. Revenue is then shared with the blog (and Google) based on click throughs. This concept fascinates me as I continue to research the antitrust implications of on-line advertising and social media. While our small merry band of prof runners are unlikely to ever earn more than pennies even if we had a dedicated program of clicking on an ad every day, it might be interesting and enlightening to see what kind of behavioral advertising is sent our way. Would folks be up for a 90 day trial? {No is a perfectly acceptable answer]

2 comments:

  1. Sure. I and some friends did this with a blog we tried several years back (www.piquereader.com). I think we made about $1.17. I never saw my share, predictably.

    Of course, no promise that I don't try to reap huge returns with the occasional post that goes something like "roadrunner sports REI the north face trivillage sports ironman.com running shoe warehouse backcountry.com"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my strategy too! running flats. Saucony. running tights. fall marathons. New Balance. Nike sucks. trail runs. Europe.

    ReplyDelete