Sunday, April 10, 2011

Shamrock Shuffling

Spring was merely a phase change between 40, rainy and windy last night and 75 and sunny this morning. I headed downtown with some trepidation to join 40,000 people for the race that kicks off the official training season (also the day they turn on the drinking faucets in the park).

Couldn't find a cab but actually got a lift from strangers heading to the race. Turns out race was better organized than I expected. I was in the C corral which was the back of the fast runners with corrals going all the way to H. I worked my up to the front of the C corral. Very orderly start, took about 5 minutes to make i to the start but I was at full pace within 100 yards. The staggered start meant that everyone was much more spread out than the marathon for virtually the whole race. Was sub-8 for the first 2 miles and gave back a little time the rest of the way to finish in a satisfying 41:30.

Its by no means a PR but the best I have done at 8K since late 2006. Heat wasn't too bad but i used most of the water to douse my head and arms. Only real glitch was hitting a pot hole at 2 plus miles which broke my stride and my iPod which went flying and took me a few moments to recover my wind (but not the broken IPod).

Next week Lakefront 10 and a goal to stay under 1:30 for the race.

2 comments:

  1. Strange feeling to realize one finished 5015 but 28,000 finished afterwards. Probably would have done a bit better if it hadn't been so damn hot. Both the day before and the day after were beautiful high 50s but Sunday itself was into the 80s by the afternoon, 70s at race time.

    ReplyDelete