Saturday, March 24, 2012

Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead

This was one of the teeshirts available in day glo orange and green at the health and fitness expo for the Shamrock Shuffle 8K, my first race of the year tomorrow morning.  (It is also is the fourth studio album by American death metal band Skinless).  My other favorite read "Pain is just weakness leaving your body".

Not my favorite race or my favorite expo because of the location of both.  The expo is at Navy Pier which is a nightmare getting in and out of.  I am used to these things being a festival of commerce but this one wasn't even that interesting from a consumption stand point.  Other than picking up my teeshirt, I bought some bodyglide and was out in under an hour which meant the parking was free.

The race itself duplicates the start and finish of the Chicago Marathon and the unofficial start of the running and training season.  40,000 people register, many are sober at race time.  But it is easy to get there by subway cab or a quick ride from a family member so not too bad.  Plus they seed so I am in the C coral so at least 30,000 runners will be behind me.  It will be a good post-surgery test and motivation to build on what I expect will be a fairly awful time.

2 comments:

  1. Actually not a bad run, a minute slower than last year, a minute faster than the first time I did it in 2002.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, and good to hear you are mending/ed. The bad news here is the Cherry Blossoms are nearly gone; the silver lining is we are free to pick our route on Friday without concern for where the flowers will be best.

    ReplyDelete