Friday, December 2, 2011

What it's like _not_ to run?

In recovering from a food-borne illness I contracted in Costa Rica, I've been on a generic version of Cipro. Yes, of Hatch-Waxman fame.

True story: in 24 hours on the drug, I seized up, nearly immobile. My knees tightened up like I had just run a marathon. My back and neck tightened up like I had been loading hay bales all day. My back muscles pulled on my head causing a monumental headache.

I broke the cardinal rule and quit the antibiotic. Give me amoebas over whatever that was, any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Is that how it feels to age without making a constant effort to maintain one's mobility? Or to bear a life-long physical disability? I've long feared not being active because I'd miss the activity. Now I fear what would happen to me without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment