Sunday, December 18, 2011

#2 Cross-Training or Proper Equipment?

So many topics, so few spots left on the list. Since I don't cross-training nearly enough, my #2 running life lesson is the need for proper gear. The best trend in smaller races is providing wiki shirts in the goodie bags instead of cotton, which eliminates a huge number of double shotgun victim looks on newer runners on race day. This is a lesson I learned the hard way early on.

We don't need a lot of stuff, but it needs to be good. I have run in shoes that are far past their prime and not nearly broken in enough with predictably bad results. I know have a collection of short sleeve and long sleeve technical running shirts from races that I don't really need to buy any more ever. Even sleeveless shirts for summer are now the product of an extra long sleeve shirt and a pair of scissors. About the only additional purchases are a couple of heavy duty winter running shirts with a mock turtle collar and those built in glove sleeves and those seem to last forever plus a couple pairs of tights and maybe a outer shell. Some actual gloves and a couple of hats and we are good to go for at least several seasons. Body Glide is helpful too.

What have I left out?

1 comment:

  1. Compression socks. Unfortunately defeats the goal of going cheap. I don't run in them -- that just looks goofy, or so I think. But the day before, and the day after, a big run, they are worth their weight in gold.

    I might be interested in going with the whole tights, but I haven't taken that step yet.

    ReplyDelete