Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Learning to Love the Elliptical?

In partial response to Spencer's post, I regret to inform the running community at large (and in particular, my worthy competitors in the 40-44 Clydesdale cohort) that I am officially on the shelf until further notice. Apparently, Achilles tendons aren't supposed to have golf-ball-sized bone spurs at their bases.

Yesterday my doctor told me my distance-running career was officially on hold while I experience the joy that is night splints and try to figure (1) whether PRP injections are voodoo medicine; and (2) whether I care. ("I believe in the placebo effect. I believe in the placebo effect. I believe. . . ")

According to the doctor, my spurs are so large that she'd have to detach almost the entire tendon on each leg to pare them down surgically; nonetheless, she said, "I don't like to cut on athletes. If you were a sedentary, overweight, middle-aged woman, I'd recommend surgery." She then wondered aloud how I was able to wear shoes at all.

Would her treatment recommendation have been different if I were a sedentary, overweight, middle-aged man? 'Cause I could manage that with very little effort. At the same time, neither "months in a wheelchair" nor "two years of surgeries and rehab" sounds all that attractive. So I guess I have to avoid the "sedentary" bit and/or hope my doctor is as sexist as her comment suggested. Elliptical (and bike), here I come!

Apologies to all for backing out of the Indianapolis half; if they'll let me do the elliptical-machine-equivalent for a finisher's medal, maybe we can work something out.

3 comments:

  1. Paul! That's terrible! Geez, get well. No worries on the half. I was likely backing out for a much lesser reason than yours. Let's keep an eye out for a runningprofs race when you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, guys! I feel fine. As long as I don't run.

    ReplyDelete