Tuesday, May 3, 2011

St. George

I landed in Las Vegas and rented a minivan (bravo Budget on a pleasant rental experience and a reasonable price -- $200/week inclusive -- for the rental).

I drove north on I15 across desert wasteland and into low sandstone hills. After about one hour I crossed the Arizona border and soon entered the Virgin River Gorge, a rock-climbing destination of some note. The Virgin River is running high, deep red with silt from the painted rocks. The gorge boasts 1000-foot walls, much of it clean vertical rock.

I got lost a little in St. George, also stopping for groceries, and rolled into the rented condo at 7 p.m. It's not the Ritz, but not a bad place to crash for five days. I'll work a little, run, ride and swim just enough to stay loose, take in some Ironman excitement and get some work done. Saturday is the big day (which must be a nod to the venue -- most IM races go on Sundays).

UPDATE: I had a nice pedal today (Wednesday) on the easy part of the bike course. I fell in with a couple of professional triathletes from Madrid who were exceedingly friendly guys. Registered for the race; got a haircut from a guy who said "that Sarah Palin is one smart woman"; and had lunch at In 'n Out burger, which is my west coast vice. Next: work a few hours and go catch a movie.

UPDATE 2: Last night I ran 40' on the run course. I sucked down 20 ounces of water and was still dry at the end, which is more than a little worrisome; I suppose the game plan will be to drink two full bottles per hour. My brother S__ arrived today, having driven all night from Portland. P__ and my mother arrive this afternoon. S__ and I headed to the swim start, where I took a short swim in the reservoir. At 56 degrees, it is brutally cold. Last year was 53 degrees, and the story is that people emerged from the water and sat for 15 minutes warming up before being able to remove their wetsuits. I don't think it will be that bad, but I am a little apprehensive. We then drove the bike course, which will be that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment