Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Running Free

No I am not going bare foot on you (permanently).  Nor am I ever switching to those toe shoes.  But I did have a terrific barefoot hour run on the beach at Fire Island.  I started off with the regular running gear trying to stay in the tracks left by an SUV emergency vehicle.  After a few minutes of slipping and sliding no which trails and tracks I tried to follow, I left the shoes and socks at the foot of one of the lifeguard chairs and continued southwest toward the lighthouse at Robert Moses state park at the end of the island.  I made it about half way to the lighthouse from Ocean Beach for a total of 6-7 miles.  At 7:30 AM the beach is clean empty and stretches a total of about 32 miles total.  Most of the way you see the ocean side houses of the small "towns" that dot the island.  Most of the towns are just a cluster of houses, a ferry dock, and a grocery store.  Ocean Beach where we stayed has maybe 8 restaurants, a few bars, some ice cream and pizza shops, tee shirt shops, and the community center where we saw a grainy version of The Avengers with bad sound.  There are also a few uninhabited areas and the sunken forest but not in the direction I have headed on my run.  I have done as much as 8 miles in both directions from where we usually stay.  Sometime I will take the water taxi to the north end of the island where there is a federal wildlife preserve and run all the way back.  This time didn't have it in me.  Great run though but my calves are seriously aching.


No comments:

Post a Comment