Thursday, May 17, 2012

Running with (from) climate change: Item (the last)

The final change that I can think of from our freakishly warm winter has manifested itself.  Whirly gigs.  There is some scientific name for the little helicopter seed pods that drop from the trees that descend in a spinning spiral to the ground to the delight of young and old alike.  Usually they start in late May/early June.  This year they are long since down on the ground, the sidewalks and the running paths.

This has me worried for several reasons including the inevitable regression to the mean.  We are likely to endure a hideous winter interfering with my attempt to train for the March Rome marathon which of course would have been quite doable this past "winter."  My current plan involves lots of gym time and cross training in January and February and a concerted effort to give faculty workshops in warm weather schools in February so I can do my long runs on those campuses.  So if the reader knows anyone who is interested in hearing about "Antitrust's Democracy Deficit early next year please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Well, we certainly are interested in hearing about it, though it isn't warm in Indy. But I'd love to put you in touch with our colloquium chair and we can cross our fingers for the weather.

    ReplyDelete