Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Warming Up

I just this morning noticed a perhaps obvious parallel between getting ready to run well and getting ready to work well. In a time crunch on a short writing project, I sat at my dining table at 5:30 with the iPad and keyboard booted up (in an effort to move to the cloud I'm doing lots more work on the iPad) drinking green tea. I studied the screen and the cases stacked up beside me. I furrowed my brow. I concentrated. Nothing worth saying came out. I played with the font, moved a paragraph around a little, and changed some punctuation. Now onto the second cup of green tea, I took some exploratory stabs at creating new text. The tea was starting to cool and go down much more quickly. I peeled a banana and added sugar to the mix. I had a brainstorm that my planned fourth part was really part III.B. Now I was cutting, pasting and redrafting, Westlaw open on the computer at my elbow. I understood the distinction between the distinctness inquiry and the proximate cause question. I had hit my stride.

No comments:

Post a Comment