Friday, July 22, 2011

Two Geneva Runs

Was in Geneva for UNCTAD meeting. Got in two different but equally pleasant runs, mostly because it was in the 60s with light drizzle most of the time. First run was morning after arrival to reset my body clock. Did about 65 minutes (assume 7 miles or so) from hotel down Lac Leman to the WTO headquarters. Would have kept going along the lake but blocked lots of construction that I couldn't figure out how to get around. Retraced my steps and headed Rue de Lausanne until Rue de la Paix which takes you up the hill to the UN which uses the old League of Nation Palace. Found both the delegate entrance and the visitor's entrance both of which I would need for the next three days (visitor's entrance to get my badge, delegates entrance after that which is much closer to the tram stop). Continued past the UN and the Arianna museum which has a cool collection of creamics and glass going across rather than further up the hill. Eventually found the route down back to the lake but apparently missed the quicker route. Returned along Rue de Lausanne past some fancy apartments, hotels, and the Wilson palace where the League of Nations was negotiated back to hotel and breakfast with Russ Damtoft of the FTC International Office. He was then kind of enough to take me to the tram stop after I cleaned up and off to the meeting we went.

After much listening and a little speaking, went running with Russ my final morning before heading to the airport. We did 5 plus the other direction along the lake, past the old town, the ferris wheel park, the marina and a bit further. Would have taken the ferry boat back straight across but I forgot my transit card (free at most hotels and the only bargain in Geneva). Really nice to catch up with someone I have known for years but never had a chance to know well.

More on Geneva in a future post but suffice it to say, it is pretty, kind of boring, and insanely expensive.

1 comment:

  1. 60s and light drizzle? I'm so envious I'm almost irritated. Sounds like a great trip.

    ReplyDelete