Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Badwater

This is the 135-mile running race from the base of Death Valley to the flanks of Mt. Whitney. 2011 results here.

While I'm reporting results, let me add the now-dated results from the grand-daddy of ultramarathons, Western States. I note that Geoff Roes started, but did not finish, this race, apparently dropping after 55 miles (where he was in 22nd place). Roes won last year and currently holds the record. I believe this is the first 100-miler he has started that he has not won. (Not that he's off form, however; my ultra-running magazine shows big wins at both the 50 and 100-mile distance this spring.)

One thing that's amazing about Western States: this is reported to be a monumentally hard race, with huge climbing and difficult weather conditions. Nonetheless, there are many finishers -- 35 last year, 39 this year -- below 20 hours, which might be considered the mark of a fast 100 mile. At a normal race you might see 5 finishers in that range. I suppose a race like this is comparable to grand-slam tennis -- everybody there has talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment