Sunday, September 18, 2011

Three "Races"

Saturday was the Revenge of the Penguins 20-miler. It's billed as a supported training run for fall marathons, but they offer prizes, which kind of defeats the "training run" idea. (Being between the ages of 30 and 39, 10th place meant 5th in my age group. No prizes for me.) I met F__ at the start, who uses the same coach I use, and we pushed each other from mile 3 to the end. F__ ran 2:58 at the Marine Corps Marathon two years ago, and she is scheduled to run it this fall. New goal: follow her until I can't any more.

Today was the Kit's Miracle Mile 10K. Yes, the race suffers from schitzophrenic branding. While yesterday's run was perfectly flat and straight, out and back on the C&O Canal tow-path, today's was three loops around the George Mason University Fairfax campus -- each loop boasting a long downhill, a little flat and 3/4 mile back uphill. Not a PR course, even if I had been in PR condition.

And while running today I had a grand idea. We could host the "race for competition" -- a 5K held early Saturday morning the weekend of the ABA Antitrust Spring Meeting. Anybody think it would take?

2 comments:

  1. If there was a prize, people would flock to it. The Institute would be willing to sponsor it. What is the next step?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I will contact a friend who has been putting on a low-key race in Rock Creek Park the past couple of years. I'll see if there's a checklist for what needs to be done. More to come.

    ReplyDelete